Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

 Pringle Can Organizer              

              The last few days where I live have been absolutely gorgeous.  That combined with my school's spring break have me thinking about organizing cupboards, gardening, and planning for the next school year.  Yeah, I tend to be pretty scattered; multi-tasking is my middle name.
                I was about to throw an empty Pringles can away when I had an epiphany.  The Pringles can is the same size as my daughters scrunchie hair ties that have been messing up our bathroom closet.  I can put the scrunchies on the outside and smaller hair bands on the inside.  Thus, today’s project serves as a spring break project, way to organize the bathroom closet, and an inexpensive after school project.  The bonuses to this craft are that it is Earth friendly and anyone who can cut paper and use glue can do it. 
                All you need is an empty Pringles can, a sheet of 12x12 scrapbook paper (thin not cardstock), and Modge Podge (you can use regular white glue too).  First, measure and trim the paper so that it is 1 inch wider then you need and fits the height of the can.  Next, cover the can with Modge Podge.  Then wrap the paper around the can smoothing it as you go.  Finally, put another thick coat of Modge Podge over the paper that is now covering the can.  There may be a few wrinkles or bubbles, but they will smooth out as the Modge Podge dries. I did spray paint the can lid, however, I don’t plan to do this step when I do the project at school.  
               








              

            The Modge Podge will need to thoroughly dry over night so if you are doing this project at school I would write students' names on the bottom of the can with a Sharpie marker before they start the gluing.  If Modge Podge gets on your tables it can be easily cleaned up with water if it is still wet or rubbing alcohol if it is dry.

             This wouldn’t be just a “girls” project as I can think of several things people of all ages can use the decorated containers for; pencils, small toys, office supplies, and many other things.  If you used a plain paper you could decorate it with stickers, ribbon, or other decorations.  This project should cost less than a dollar per container.  I find projects like this a good way to use scrapbook paper that I wouldn’t use with photos or that I have extras of.
                Now, we just need to find a creative way to finish the oatmeal so I can make a stand for her headbands.  

1 comment:

  1. Be sure to wash out the Pringle can before starting the project!

    ReplyDelete